Sunday, January 14, 2007

Rude behaviour towards car drivers

A sunny if cold morning start at 8.30 at C's house. This was the first day that all four contestants had ridden together. We completed around 32 miles and N2 reckons our pace will be good for the three days that it will take us.

C was coughing up much sputum (mm, nice) suffering from the after effects of a cold. N1 has a lovely new bike and appeared to be used to its 30 gears by the end of the ride. We stopped for Mars Bars and bananas in Meopham. My chain came off four times and I am having trouble getting into 1st gear due to the cables. I must take up the offer of Condor's free service very soon. I also fell off when I forgot to take my right foot out of the pedal clip when stopping! Luckily no injuries and I suspect that this fall may have mucked up my gears. And what with N2 getting a puncture the day was filled with drama.

Today's other event was a misunderstanding in relation to a car driver who N2 had kindly waved at to go past and as a thank you he bibbed his horn at us. C, who was at the front could see none of this and assumed that the beeping of the horn was a driver getting the ache with us and so he decided to make a rude hand gesture at the driver as he passed (which was kind of reasonable as in recent weeks we have had all sorts of bad behaviour from Kentish Drivers including deliberate puddle splashing, revving and horn sounding). However the old lady in the passenger seat looked mortified as her car passed him...

A misunderstanding I guess. I will tell C to keep his hand gestures to a minimum and reserve them from BMW Boy Racers and suchlike.

We may have one more attendee. I shall find out this week. Exciting.

Listening to Damian Rice, "Cannonball"

No comments: